Low Carb Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam/Filling

Growing up strawberry rhubarb pie was always a favourite. I didn't really like pie very much and would usually find myself just eating the delicious filling and picking out the crust. Every spring I get excited as soon as I see rhubarb back in the store and in my garden.



Now that I'm keto (traditional) pie is obviously out of the question and off the menu. Having this Jam/Filling on hand allows me to add it to all kinds of things like low carb granola, sugar free ice cream, & all kinds of different pastry desserts (like my Strawberry Rhubarb Turnovers on my Instagram). This jam will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks and can even be eaten by the spoonful when you want something sweet & satisfying.

Low Carb Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam/Filling 


Ingredients: 
  • 100 grams diced rhubarb *this may be obvious to most but the leaves are poisonous so stalks only people* 
  • 100 grams diced organic strawberries 
  • 1 TBSP Swerve (I like mine a little tarte so if you want it sweet double this) 
  • 1 TBSP Organic Chia Seeds 
  • 2 packets Crystalized Lemon (by True Lemon) *or the juice from two lemon wedges* 

Instructions: 
  1. Add clean and diced strawberries, rhubarb, and swerve to a heavy bottom pot on medium 
  2. Allow to cook down until fruit is soft and the liquid has come out, be sure to keep stirring so nothing burns 
  3. Once fruit is soft mash it with a potato masher 
  4. Add in chia seeds and lemon and reduce heat, allow to simmer down 15-20 minutes or until there are no separate pieces of fruit
  5. Remove from heat *it will thicken up even more so don't let it reduce too much in the pot) 
  6. Transfer to a clean glass container or mason jar and allow to cool 
  7. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks 

*note: I make mine very thick because I usually want it to have structure in recipes I'm using it for, if you want it runnier only use half a tablespoon of chia seeds)



This jam is super easy and only takes a couple of minutes. + It is low carb and the addition of chia seeds add antioxidants, fiber, and omega fatty acids to help nourish and fuel your body. With berry season coming and living in BC I will have some different versions coming up - triple berry perhaps? Enjoy!! 

* I always recommend calculating your own macros but this recipe is nice and straight forward. For the entire batch mine came in at: 93 calories, 12g net carbs, 6.5g of fat, 11g fiber, 5.5g protein. This recipe yields about 8 TBSP. which puts each serving at less than 12 calories, 1.5g net carbs, 0.8g fat, 1.4g fiber, & 0.7g protein. *

Comments

Popular Posts