Savoury Keto Low Carb Hashbrowns

As previously mentioned.. I LOVE POTATOES! Giving these up when I went keto/low carb certainly wasn't easy so I have been trying to find the best keto swaps for my favourite potato dishes since day one.

When it comes to mash & 'rice' cauliflower is my go to - but there is no way to turn cauliflower in to hashbrowns so I opted for this delicious radish & purple top turnip combination. Radishes are low in calories, carbs, protein, & fats which make them a great base to potato like dishes to keep your macros in control + they are a decent source of potassium which is always a plus. Purple top turnips are also low calorie and great for your macros - 1 cup of this root vegetable only has 1g protein & 4g net carbs (6 total - 2 fibre).


This recipe can be sized up for large gatherings or cut in half to accommodate breakfast for one so be sure to calculate your macros below (I will show what my recipe worked out to but depending on your turnip & radish sizes it could be a little different).


Savoury Keto Low Carb Hashbrowns 
  • 10 red radishes (washed and quartered) 
  • 2 small-medium purple top turnips (peeled and cubed into same size as radishes) 
  • 2 TBSP organic avocado oil 
  • 1 TBSP dried organic chive rings 
  • 1 tsp onion powder 
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt 
  • dash of salt (optional) to taste 
Instructions: 
  1. Prep turnip and radishes as mentioned above (washed, radishes quartered, turnips peeled and cubed to match radish size) 
  2. Heat avocado on low/medium in a frying pan (I prefer using Teflon free frying pans or cast iron) 
  3. Add the turnip and radishes and cover, stir regularly for about 15 minutes. Covering the hashbrowns allows moisture to sweat out and provide a better texture that isn't too watery + helps absorb the dry spices 
  4. Once the hashbrowns are almost done add all the spices, I always add my spices when the food is hot because it helps activate the flavour. Keep cooking down for about another 3 minutes 
  5. Remove from heat and enjoy! You can garnish them how you like and add them to any breakfast. 
note: if you want to bake in the oven for a more traditional hash you will want to lessen your cooking time by about 5 minutes so you don't burn/dry out your hash 

Nutritional Information/Macros:
(for full recipe) 
Fat - 27g
Protein - 2g
Carbs - 8g net carbs (12 total, 4 fibre) 
Calories -  292
This could easily be broken into 4 servings but if you want a hefty serving (like I always do) I would break it into 2 servings which is very macro friendly. 

*disclaimer: I always recommend calculating your own macros in case of differences between brands/produce sizing. 


Comments

Popular Posts