Collagen Benefits and My 3 Favourite Kinds

I have always had a passion of natural nutrition, healing, and supplements. Lately I feel like Health Food Stores & the entire natural products/supplement world have just exploded with new products making it hard to keep up with all of the new products & their benefits. That is why I wanted to do a super quick little blog post chatting about collagen benefits and my three (tried true & tested) favourite kinds.

Collagen is the core structural protein in your skin & connective tissues. As we get older environmental factors and free radicals can destroy collagen + slow the production of elastin. Bend Skincare even states that in youthful collagen is abundant and makes up 75% of the dermis - 75%!!!! Most people add collagen to their diets for the beauty benefits (skin, nail, & hair) but other great benefits come along with collagen. It has been shown to boost elastin levels and following:

  • Help heal leaky gut 
  • Reduce fine lines & wrinkles (with results in as little as 30 days!) 
  • Improve joints & repairs muscles
  • Boosts liver health 
  • Helps to tighten the skin (so essential when losing lots of weight on keto) 
  • Builds thicker and stronger nails 
  • Firms & hydrates the skin 
I have tried several different kinds of collagen and I have narrowed my favourites down to these 3.

1. Organika Enhanced Collagen Protein Powder


Organika's Enhanced Collagen is my number one + the only beef source to make my top 3 favourites. One of the reasons I love this product so much - is because I love Organika so much. I have been buying Organika for years (& years & years) and love supporting this Canadian company that is so close to home <3

This product is sourced from grass fed pasture raised cows with 0 hormones or antibiotics + provides 8g of protein per 8.5 g serving!! It is also flavourless which I like sometimes so I can make collagen coffee and add to baking. You can also mix it in to smoothies or just water and drink pure.

A 250g package can run you about $25 but I often see it on sale & online for around $20. You can buy it here & use code KetoCrystal at checkout to save $10 on your $40 order. + They offer free shipping on orders over $35!



2.  Bend Beauty Marine Collagen 


This is another brand I really love and really love to support. Their knowledge and products are top notch + so is their customer service <3. I just finished my bottle of this beauty juice and will need to restock soon + hopefully be able to try their Anti-aging Formula Too.

One of the reasons I love this so much is that this formula promotes the building of healthy collagen by including vitamin c & silicon to the marine collagen mix. Bend Beauty also boasts that marine collagen is significantly better absorbed than bovine collagen - and honestly I love this company so much - that if they say it - I believe it.

This formula is flavoured with strawberry & stevia so it has a little more sweetness and is suited for mixing straight, fruit smoothies, or collagen gummies (check out my recipe here). You can buy it here and 156g (28 servings) will run you $44 CAD. This is the best bang for your buck when it comes to marine collagen <3



3.  Lorna Vanderhaeghe Active Collagen

Lorna Vanderhaeghe brand is built for women which is one of the reasons I love it. I have taken other supplements from this brand that I have liked, however this brand comes with a higher price tag than most (due to its quality & ingredients) so that's something to keep in mind.

One of the reasons I like the Active Collagen mix is that it is readily available in local Health Food Stores & online + that it promises results in 28 days. This blend doesn't have vitamin c or silicon like bend (I wish it did) but instead contains Malic Acid & Bamboo Leaf Extract which add antioxidants. This formula is also flavoured with stevia and comes in raspberry flavour so again it is best for mixing straight, fruit smoothies, or collagen gummies.

One 104g jar (25 servings) is right around $50 anywhere you go (can be found here) which makes the Bend Beauty Marine Collagen a much better bang for your buck ($2/serving compared to $1.57/serving). (I scored the Active Collagen on a 25% off sale which come about frequently so keep your eyes open). 






Since going keto and joining the keto family I've noticed lots of fellow ketos complaining about a loss of skin elasticity and sagging skin (because you've kicked ass on your keto journey) so I just wanted to share a little bit of knowledge about these products as they will help you to benefit in that area (+ some other pretty great ones).

 I have no association to any of these companies. All opinions are my own and information was taken from credible backed sources. I was not compensated in any way for this post - I just genuinely love these products <3.

Comments

Popular Posts